Thursday, May 14, 2009

When your child begins a conversation about spirituality

Let's Talk Kids...

When your child begins a conversation about spirituality - be careful to listen intently. Here are some ways you can show you are hearing them:

* Gain appropriate eye contact. No stares, glares, or rolling eyes.
* Give meaningful touch, touch their shoulder, hold their hand.
* Focus on communication. Listen to their words. Stop what you are doing to sit with them.
For serious conversations with your children, start early and often. Begin when they are toddlers to tell them what you expect or desire in the present and future years in terms that they can comprehend.

Building their faith means you must put your relationship with Christ first. All within view of your children. They need to see how important Christ is in your life.

Allowing the Holy Spirit to do His work means asking your children what you might do to help. Be available to discuss situations with them. Be quick to pray for your children about the matter and be specific if possible. Whether forgiveness needs to occur, healing, gaining God's wisdom or making a deeper level of commitment to the Lord - get on your knees!

Maybe you don't know how to pray for your children - then ask God to reveal to you any areas in which you can help fight for your children's eternal sake!

You don't have to know all the answers, just let them share what's in their hearts.

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2011 at 2:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pastors Phil and Cynthia. I doubt that you will remember me but I decided to give it a shot. I went to your church in Texas when I was about...5 or 6 I believe it was. My mom's name was Katrina Schaffer at the time and she was with my biological dad Ronald Schaffer. I have always remembered loving the church and I had been good friends with your son, baley (I am not sure as to the spelling of it). I had just wanted to see how you all were doing and see if you remembered me. Blessings to you and your family=)
Sincerely,
Alexa Constable
P.S. I had tried to find you guys on fb but was unable to.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Marlos ACE said...

I remember the first time I heard about Phil Phillips, he came to the church I was attending in Mesquite, and talked about Turmoil in the Toybox (1991). At the time, I had a 1 year old and was pregnant with my second. Years later, we began attending Covenant Church and I was pregnant with my third , the Phillips came on staff at Covenant. My husband and I attended some of the parenting seminars. For some reason, your names came to my mind today. I began doing some research on the internet, and much to my dismay I found that you are divorced--and both remarried-- I think. I am so sorry to hear that--divorce wreaks much havoc on a family and children. Although, my husband and I have been through much turmoil in our marriage and I did wreak havoc in my family, I am so thankful to the Lord for bringing us from the brink of disaster and saving me from myself. Though not deserved, but grateful for HIS GRACE. And thankful my 4 children (ages 21,19,18,and 15)eyes, minds and hearts are being opened by the Lord. I want you to know that I am committing to praying for you and your children. I'm sure this means nothing to you, you don't know me from Adam....but I feel led of the Lord. Obviously, I don't know your full story, but I do know divorce is devastating. However I know, God is sovereign and in control and I believe His word is true...."And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Phil. 1:6

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home